Thursday 13 August 2009

Honorary cartoonist: Goya

This drawing by Goya is entitled: 'Showing off? Remember your age.' It shows a probably old woman (it could be a man) falling down the stairs and comes from the Black Border Album, drawn between 1816 and 1820. The full effect of Goya's drawings is felt in their composition, but this is from a flyer for an exhibition in 2001, and has been cropped of it's black border. I failed to buy the catalogue at the time for some unknown reason, probably to do with the price, and I can't find the full image anywhere online, so this is all I've got.
Francisco Goya started his personal albums of memories, observations and imaginings after (partially) recovering from an illness which left him totally deaf for the rest of his life. Isolated by his deafness he became more introspective and took to recording his thoughts on human behaviour - he wasn't exactly impressed by it.
This flyer has been stuck on my wall with so-called Magic tape since I visited the exhibition. A probably old woman (it could be a man) falling down stairs may be fairly basic on the humour front but I think it's hilarious, and I'm inclined to imagine Goya had a good laugh when he drew it.

No comments: